Sunday, December 26, 2004

After Christmas

I always feel a bit let down the day after Christmas. It seems that for over a month we build up the season, and everything about it, looking forward to one day. After that day is over, it's over. I think, in a way, everyone breathes a sign of relief when it's finally over. Then all we have to worry about is the credit card bill when it comes in January. Hopefully, we did not have too much on ours for Christmas. Because of building the sunroom this year, we tried to keep our Christmas costs down. I made alot of gifts this year, which everyone seemed to love. The pillowcases that I embroidered were a big hit, and so were the Fun Fur scarve, hat and gloves that I made for my 2 and 1/2 year old niece, and the handmade Christmas ornaments and knitted dishcloths.

Igot several fun gifts for Christmas. I got a really cute wooden thing with 3 cats in it which I'm looking forward to putting in my sunroom and a really cute resin type cat figurine that has a Santa hat on. I wish I could use it year round. I really appreciate all the gifts that I received, and I don't mean to be ungrateful, but for some of them I just thought, "What were they thinking?" Of course I'm polite enough to not ask them that question. I hate to be covetous, but there were several things that others got that I wish I had gotten. Well, there was really only one thing that my sister-in-law got that I wish I had gotten. Her daughter bought her some of those wonderful, fleece type Isotoner slippers. I have a pair of these from last year and they are so comfortable. I went out today to see if I could find some and they were all gone by the time I got there. I guess alot of other people like them too. I did find some after-Christmas bargains. I bought a neat pair of earrings that were 25% off. They are gold tone ear wires that dangle and they are the half moon and a star inside. Really pretty. Then I found 2 calendars and one engagement calendar book to use at work. It's called Cat Tales by Charles Wysocki. I debated on whether to buy cat themed calendars for work like I usually do, and opted instead to get two different wall calendars that are not cat related. One of them is Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting Calendar, and the other one is Kim Jacobs The Cobblestone Way. It has country type scenes of rooms, which I love. I will post some pictures later of the earrings and the other things I got.

I was thinking the other day about how sometimes we lose sight of Christmas when we get into the material aspect of it. We get caught up in the buying, and forget what Christmas if really all about. To me it's about the birth of Jesus, and showing His love to others by helping others and having good will toward our fellow man. In other words, help them whenever we can and treat everyone with respect, without reservation or judgment, and treat them the way we would want to be treated.

We haven't even unpacked everythng that we btrought from Eddie's sister's house. I think we were so tired when we got home on Christmas Eve, and then we had more visiting on Christmas day. We were pooped by the time we finally got home. Then we got a call from more family who were expecting us to come by their house. Eddie and I both thought, "Enough is enough." We could run ourselves to death and still not please everybody.

After I have rested, I will write more. Right now, I'm just kicking back and doing some knitting and recuperating.

No comments: